Sunday, March 25, 2012

Mickey Mouse Batman?

DIY Vinylmation
Batman Head
After the positive feedback from the ICS Android I decided to try another custom but this time doing more than just painting the figure. Due to the lack of money I couldn't go out and just purchase a blank of my choice, so I turned to a Vinylmation I had bought my son. Vinylmations are Disney vinyl figures based off of the Mickey Mouse character. Created to cash in on the popularity of Designer Urban Vinyl, disney has over saturated this line of toy with hundreds of different designs. Being a fan of Batman, I decided to make a vinylmation interpretation of him. The idea again was to keep it simple but have enough features to where anyone would recognize that it was supposed to be Batman. I chose to go with one of my favorite Batmans ever, the Dark Knight. After washing the figure with warm soap water, to take off any residue left from production, I heated the figures ears with a blow dryer. This makes the vinyl very soft and easy to cut. With an exacto knife I cut the ears into the shape of Batman's ears and filled in any imperfections with super sculpey. I then added the brow definition on the mask. The body only needed the Batman logo on the chest which was real easy to cut out and adhere to the body. The spikes on the arms were a little challenging but they ended up looking pretty cool.
Ready for Primer
Sketch of Logo & Belt

After all the sculpey was in its proper place, I boiled everything to harden the sculpey. I sanded the sculpey to smooth it out a bit and primered the figure with a black sandable primer. After giving it a nice sanding, I was able to start painting the belt and eyes. Once all the painting was done, I did a matte gloss finish on the entire figure to seal in the paint. I used cel vinyl paint on the entire figure by the way. The cape was cut out of a piece of clothe. I was kind of lazy on it but will most likely have someone sew a proper cape for Vinylmation Batman.
Dark Knight Vinylmation
Primed and Ready



No comments:

Post a Comment