Monday, April 2, 2012

Urban Forestry Dunny

So, where did I get the idea for this custom you say? Well, studying Landscape Architecture leads to learning about plants and trees. And it's a requirement to get an internship, anywhere as long as it's related to landscape architecture, before you graduate. So I applied and got a job for the City of Riverside in the Urban Forestry and Landscape department. To be honest, that was the first time I had heard the term Urban Forestry. I immediately thought of a tree in a hoodie and jeans. Then when I saw the Dunny figure I thought, "those ears could be branches..." And so the sketching began. I chose to use the Raintree as the tree for the figure. If you have seen Disney's the Lion King, you have seen a raintree.
  So I used Super Sculpey to make the jeans, hoodie and base/roots of the tree. I use Super Sculpey a lot only because I have a pound of it to go through. I used copper wire for the arm/branches, and I built out the canopy's with tin foil before I coated them with sculpey. Now when I say "built out" that means I formed the shape and size I wanted, then I put a thin layer of sculpey over it. This does two things. One, it makes the canopy lighter. And two, it uses way less clay. With the copper wires being the frame for the arms, I layered sculpey on them as well. I debated just painting the design of a tree on the head of the dunny, but opted to add clay to it to give it the texture of bark instead.
 Oh and when I say clay, I still mean sculpey. I decided to give the Dunny a base, thinking that the canopy's would throw it off balance. But while I was painting it, I dropped it and the base shattered. The only images I have of the dunny are pre shattered base. But I am days, actually hours away from finishing it so hopefully I can update this post with some finished images soon. but until then these are going to have to do. Sorry ladies and gentlemen. These images are all before primer and paint, so believe me when I say it looks way better than these pics. Oh, and I went with blue jeans, a white hoodie, green canopy's and of course a brown bark for the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment